- CUSD High School Course Catalog
- CVHS Course Catalog
- Graduation Requirements
- Academics & Advisement
- Canvas Login and Support
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- Counselor's Corner
- Future Cougar Information - New & Incoming Students
- Senior College & Career Information
- College and Career Information
- CUSD Futureology
- College and Career Advantage (CCA)
- Testing Information
- Seal of Biliteracy
- Who to Contact in Guidance
- New Student Enrollment Information
Private (Independent) Schools
Applying to a Priviate / Independent University
The application process to a private/independent university will vary from school to school. Unlike UC and CSU, students will have to research and apply to each university separately. It is best not to wait unit the end of your junior year to start preparation. The more information you have up front about the particular university you are applying to, the more concise and complete your application process will be.
Private and Independent universities differ from the UC and CSU significantly in their applicaiton process. Generally speaking, they will have the same subject requirements as the UC and CSU (a-g subject pattern); however, students should check the home website of the university in question to be certain. Where the UC and CSU systems do not require letters of recommendation, or even transcripts with their applications, private/independent universities will expect the following:
- Students must download all application materials from the home website of the school they are applying to.
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require college essays
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require letters of recommendation
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require high school transcripts at the time of application. Most will ALSO want mid-year transript updates after the fall semester grades for senior year have been posted.
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require information directly from the Guidance Office (Academic Advisor). These reports may be called secondary school reports; school reports; counselor reports, counselor evaluation, etc. Students must download these forms from the college website and give them to their Academic Advisor no later than 3 weeks before the deadline!
- As with the UC and CSU, students must arrange to have their ACT and/or SAT exam scores sent direclty to the university directly from ACT (American College Testing Inc (ACT) www.act.org., or from the College Board (SAT I and SAT II) www.collegeboard.com.
Early Action vs. Regular Admission
Application deadlines vary from as early as October 1st (for Early Action/Decision programs) to as last as February for some schools. Most Regular Admissions deadlines will be somewhere between December 1st through January 15th. Please note that Early Action does not pertain to UC or CSU; please see application filing perriods for UC/CSU under UC / CSU A-G Requirements.
The Common App is used by over 400 colleges and universities across the country. Students need to create an account on the Common App website. Apply online, do not use the paper applications. As part of the process, you will need to invite your Academic Advisor and the teacher who will be writing a letter of recommendation and provide their email.
Your advisor and teacher will be notified by email. Complete the Letter of Recommendation Packet and deliver it to your advisor and teacher.
You will self report your grades to the CSU and UC systems on your application. Each senior will receive a transcript during visits by the Academic Advisors to their Government or Economics class Sept 18-20. Do not send transcripts to the UC/CSU systems when you apply.
If your college requires you to use The Common Application or SEND.EDU, then your Academic Advisor will include a transcript with her Secondary School Report. You are responsible to make sure your Advisor gets the email request from Common App or SEND.EDU.
Should you have other schools that require an official transcript at the time of application, you must send it using the Parchment website.