Administration CVHS Leadership Team Attendance Teachers Discipline PTSA CVHS 40th Anniversary Recycling at Capo Valley Library CVHS Foundation Alumni Principal's Welcome Schedule a Personal Tour
Academic Departments Academic Resources ATMS AVID ELD Engineering Fine and Practical Arts IB MUN Two-Way Immersion Program CTE Pathways
ASB/Activities Fundraising Animation Awareness Club California Scholarship Federation Capo Media Colors of the Middle East Comedy Sportz CVHS OC Science Dollars for Collars CVHS Theatre Arts Escape Magazine Farm Club (Capistrano Heritage Club) Fellowship of Christian Athletes French Club Helping Hands Hispanic Career Club Inspire Key Club Kick Start Capo Model United Nations National Honor Society Photo Pink Ribbon Club Racin' For Rescues Science Olympiad True North Christian Club
CVHS Athletics Capo Valley Surf Team 2017
Guidance Home College Advisement - Choosing Your Classes Scholarships Annual Checklists Testing Information Honors & Awards College Visit Schedule Counselor's Corner CUSD Futureology DREAMers PSAT Who to Contact in Guidance
Visual & Performing Arts Theatre Arts Vocal Music Instrumental Music Visual Arts Dance AVID ROP Fashion
Open Enrollment - Enroll at CVHS


What Is A DREAMer?

The term "DREAMer" is often used to describe undocumented students who wish to pursue higher education after graduating from high school.  However, these students often face many challenges trying to pursue higher education, such as lack of information or they may have difficulty discussing their situation with others due to the fact that they will likely need to disclose their citizenship status.  This page is intended to provide information and resources that may make their dream of pursuing post-secondary education a reachable long-term goal versus just a dream.

Financial Assistance

The state of California, as well as other states, do offer financial assistance to undocumented students.  In California, several assembly bills have passed to offer financial support, AB 540, AB 2000, AB 130, and AB 131.  Click here for a comparison chart from the California Studen Aid Commission (CSAC) which compares the bills side by side .  If you are eligible to apply for the California Dream Act, you will not fill out the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).  Students who plan to apply to out-of-state universities, must check with the university to verify the information needed to request financial assistance.

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act is an application which allows qualified students the ability to apply for in-state financial aid, be eligible for school funded scholarships, and the board of governors (BOG) fee waiver within the community colleges, private schools, and the public universities in California.  A student must meet the following requirements to qualify for the California Dream Act:

  • attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years, or
  • attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years 2 and
  • graduated or will graduate from a California high school or attainment of General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), and
  • Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university, and
  • If applicable, complete an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as eligible, and
  • Not hold any of the following non-immigrant visas (A, B, C, D, E, F, H, J, etc.)**
  • **If you have Temporary Protected Status or hold a U Visa select you may be eligible.

If you qualify to apply, click here to fill out the California Dream Act.

Undocu friendly universities/colleges

As students begin to research universities/colleges they may decide to apply to, students will want to verify what type of services or support they have on campus for undocumented students, in hopes to provide a safe and comfortable learning environment for students, no matter what their citizenship status may be.  The two public university systems in California, California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC), will likely have a liaison or a resource center dedicated to undocumented students.  Students wishing to attend a private or out-of-state university will need to research and verify if the university/college offers financial assistance and if they offer additional support/services to undocumented students.  In the quick links section, you will find a list of possible universities that may be "undocu" friendly.  Again, it is the student's responsibility to verify with the schools to determine eligibility.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The Capistrano Unified School District prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying in all district activities, programs, and employment based upon actual or perceived gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, ethnic group identification, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. Reference: AR 1312.3, BP 1312.3 and BP 5183.

Rich Montgomery, Executive Director, Human Resource Services/Compliance
33122 Valle Road, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
(949) 234-9200

Website Disclaimer

ATTENTION: The Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD) does not assume any responsibility or liability for the content that may be present within external Websites linked to and from this site that are operated or created by or for organizations outside of the CUSD. The linking to or from this site does not imply on the part of the CUSD or any of its schools any guarantee of quality, assumption of liability or endorsement of the organizations maintaining external Websites. Those organizations are solely responsible for the operation of their Website and quality of the content including advertisements, links, media, images and text that they may deem appropriate.